Sunday 27 May 2012

Here Comes the Sun


August Renoir, Luncheon of the Boat Party
   Two years of nagging are finally showing their fruits! The sun and summer decided to pay a visit. Now, I can get outside wearing nothing but a t-shirt and still be warm… bliss! Should I clarify that when I say nothing but a t-shirt, I don’t literally mean it? I also wear my jeans of course and shoes, but the root of my happiness is that I don’t need a jacket. You know what they say; little things are the ones that matter in life. Well, thumbs up to that one.
    It never crossed my mind how much the sun is essential to me. I was born and raised in the land of sun. It’s always there, on summers, springs, autumns, winters, always. The few days throughout a year, when the sun is hiding, constitute the exception that proves the rule. So, there was no reason to bother about the necessity of that orange source of warmth. The little things, you can appreciate them only when you miss them.           
   There’s another saying coming up (don’t worry, it would be the last, for this post at least), you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Well, my loved ones, that’s true. Although I’m not that old (yet) and most definitely am not a dog, I have already established habits and ways which define me. For instance, when I’m about to greet someone I know and fancy it will come natural to me to hug him or her. That is a habit I had to quit when I came to UK. Another example, I never realised the way I speak and laugh it sounds loud. I’m Greek, we speak loudly, we use our hands, we get passionate about almost everything and we show our feelings about almost anything. Nonetheless, after a while I saw people staring at my husband and me whilst we were talking, most of them concerned we were having a fight. Whereas, in fact, we were having a pleasant discussion.
   However, as I said, it’s too late and too hard to quit my habits. So please, keep in mind that when you meet me you’re going to have your hug even if it puts you on the spot. I can’t help it.               

No comments:

Post a Comment