Saturday 26 May 2012

An Adventure

Photo from the blog A Cup of Jo
   I haven’t travel all around the world. I was always rooted to the same place. Alright, I did some travelling, but nothing much. The first time I travelled abroad, I was almost 30 years old. Therefore, you can't exactly say that I’m a traveller. But then again, most of the people I know aren’t travellers either. Maybe, that’s why. Maybe, I haven’t met the right people.
   To be honest, apart from the exciting prospect of a journey, is not that I was desperate to circle the cosmos, discover new things, etc. If Amerigo Vespucci was like me, the world would have been a continent short. Nonetheless, when an opportunity appeared I always grabbed it by the horns. So, you can’t say that I’m not a traveller either.
   The biggest journey of all I made it when I dated my husband. I mean, now he’s my husband. Back then, he was just another dude, innocent and guilty of all the usual (and unusual) ‘crimes’ that men do when they date women. But, as you probably guessed already, he turned out a good man. We instantly fell in love and we got married. However, my writing is not about my husband, our story or marriage. When I said that I’ve made the biggest journey when I met him, I meant it. Literally.
   You see, the first (and typically, the last) date we had was the night before he had to fly back to the UK, where he already had been leaving for two years. So, before we even got together we had to say goodbye. You may ask, ‘then what was the point of going out if he was to leave?’, and you would be right. I asked myself the same question after that night, but it was too late. Of course, I knew he had to go and anyway it didn’t started as a date but it sure ended like one. After 3 months of dating via internet, I came to the UK to visit. Well, naturally the visit wasn’t the ‘biggest journey’. But, the moving after another 6 months was!
   I realise the actual travelling from Greece to the UK is like 3-4 hours and you can’t name it as a BIG journey. Nonetheless, leaving everything behind to go to a different (different, as in capital, DIFFERENT) country is one hell of a big journey. Or you could name it an adventure, which I did. An adventure it is.             

No comments:

Post a Comment